As I am helping another team part time to setup some infra on AWS, I felt my fundamental AWS knowledge being tested all over again. I’ve gotten so used to doing the more “tricky/complex” things that when starting from fresh, got tripped up by some basic setup.
- Internet facing ELB must have public subnet associated
- As long as the each AZ has a public subnet associated, the ELB will be able to route to the AZ
- Public subnets must have IGW, NAT not counted
- NAT instance must be created in a subnet which has IGW
- ELB does not need to be in the same subnet as Target Group to route to it
- ELB needs at least a /27 subnet
- ELB reserves 8 IP in the subnet for autoscaling
- NLB does not load balance cross-zone by default
- ALB load balance cross-zone by default
- Smallest subnet in AWS is /28
- OpenVPN Access Server needs EIP
- OpenVPN Access Server needs to setup through SSH first
While I wasn’t the one who setup the bulk on the networking, I wasn’t able to quickly pinpoint the exact reason why I was unable to get connectivity for the VPN that I was setting up. Just proves that there are some fundamental concepts that I need brushing up on.
On happier news, I finally bought/receive the lube for my future keyboard. Over the weekends I decided to try lubing my current Filco TKL keyboard without disassembly to see how it works/feels.
Without disassembly means that I did not desolder the switches, nor did I open the housing to gain access to each of the components. I depressed the stem, then lubed the 4 faces of the switch except the south. Reason being that I’m using a tactile brown switch and I wanted to make sure that I retain the feel of it.
Also applied a thicker coating of lube for the stabilizers, as well as did the bandaid mod for all the stabilizers. Have also removed all the o-rings on the keycaps because the lube has soften the sound of the switches and the o-rings didn’t feel necessary anymore.
In conclusion, I should’ve done this way earlier.
Stabilizers: they’re a lot quieter, have less rattle, have more of a “thock” sound than a “thack”. The pitch of the keys has been lowered so it’s more pleasant sounding.
Other keys: It feels much smoother and quieter. The pitch of the keys have been lowered a little, and overall it’s just a much nicer typing experience.
Before I lubed everything I was averaging around 130wpm, but I could actually get a consistent 140wpm after. I think my actual speed didn’t really change but the more consistent feel of typing just helped. I am really impressed by how much of a difference it made even though I didn’t really do a proper “full” lube of the switch. This just makes me even more excited and anxious for when my Drop Ctrl Keyboard arrives.
Unfortunately, I won’t be posting any pictures or sound tests because my phone can’t focus that close up. But what I can say is that, for all keyboards I’m going to have moving forward, I’m definitely going to lube the hell out of them. Am considering getting a better solder iron to practice on my older mech keyboards, but that’s an adventure for another day.